SCP-2178
rating: +110+x

Item #: SCP-2178

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Provisional Site-██ has been established at the base of SCP-2178 in order to provide housing and supplies for personnel assigned to SCP-2178. A circular security perimeter with a radius of three kilometers is to be established around SCP-2178 and regularly patrolled. Because of SCP-2178’s remote location, the possibility of civilians accidentally finding SCP-2178 is extremely unlikely; as such, individuals found attempting to breach SCP-2178’s security perimeter are to be detained as potential persons of interest.

Description: SCP-2178 is a large rock formation located in the Himalayas mountain range. From base to peak, it is approximately 162 meters tall; the elevation at the peak of SCP-2178 is approximately 6.5 kilometers. SCP-2178 resembles a closed fist. A human head, designated SCP-2178-1, is affixed to the base of SCP-2178. SCP-2178-1 appears to belong to an adolescent woman of Han Chinese ancestry.

SCP-2178 undergoes anomalous changes, creating environmental conditions impossible for its location, in a 360 day cycle. The cycle has five phases of 72 days each.

  • In the first phase, SCP-2178 is covered in shrubbery, light forest, and grass. The temperature of SCP-2178 is approximately 15 degrees Celsius.
  • In the second phase, all plant matter on SCP-2178 begins to dry; brush fires are common in this period. Temperature increases to approximately 30 degrees Celsius.
  • In the third phase, all plant matter on SCP-2178 has been completely burned away; SCP-2178 exhibits minimal anomalous activity during this phase. Temperature is approximately 20 degrees Celsius.
  • In the fourth phase, clouds moving from east to west continuously cover SCP-2178, greatly decreasing visibility. Temperature drops to approximately eight degrees Celsius. Expeditions to SCP-2178 during this time have revealed that it is covered in snow despite the temperature being above water's freezing point. Spontaneous magnetic fields pointing in random directions and ranging in magnitude from 50 to 700 microtesla appear in the area surrounding SCP-2178 during this time.
  • In the fifth phase, temperature drops to negative three degrees Celsius. Despite the decrease in temperature below water's freezing point, the snow covering SCP-2178 melts, generating streams and rivers which pour down the sides of SCP-2178. The climate surrounding SCP-2178 is perpetually rainy during this period. Analysis of the water produced by SCP-2178 in this period shows that the water is unusually rich in silt and minerals. The flow of water across SCP-2178 enriches the soil, which gives rise to a rapid growth of vegetation, initiating the first phase and re-iterating the cycle.

SCP-2178-1 is both alive and conscious. It suffers no injuries from its environment and has no need for food or drink. When SCP-2178-1 is questioned, it does not provide any information about its origins and is extremely disoriented. SCP-2178-1 is aware of its condition, but does not exhibit any signs of distress. It has proven impossible to dig into or otherwise damage SCP-2178, making retrieval of SCP-2178-1 impossible.

Interview Log-2178-03

Interviewed: SCP-2178-1

Interviewer: Doctor James Zhang

<Begin Log>

Dr. Zhang: Can you tell me how you got here?

SCP-2178-1: No.

Dr. Zhang: What about your name, or where you came from?

SCP-2178-1: …name? I don’t have a name, do I?

Dr. Zhang: Can you tell me where you are right now?

SCP-2178-1: This is a mountain. I am trapped inside it.

Dr. Zhang: Uh, yes. Yes, that's right. The—the mountain seems to be impenetrable, so it seems like it’ll be some time before we can get to you, but—

SCP-2178-1: Get to me? Why would you want to get to me? It is nice here.

Dr. Zhang: Right.

SCP-2178-1: I do not need a name. I do not need a place. Or a home. The universe is very big. It is very dynamic. For something small and permanent like me, there is no place in the universe to stay without being wiped away…

Dr. Zhang: Can you please elaborate?

SCP-2178-1: It is warm here. Who are you?

<End Log>

Addendum-2178A: On ██/██/20██, Provisional Site-██ personnel apprehended an individual attempting to breach SCP-2178’s perimeter. The individual was identified as Weidong Chen, a Taiwanese citizen. Chen is currently held at [REDACTED] as a Person of Interest. Further details regarding Chen are classified to Level 4/2178 personnel on a need-to-know basis.

Immediately after participating in Chen’s arrest, Agent Barnes reported significant mental disorientation and dysphoria. Two days afterwards, Agent Barnes claimed to have new memories of an event in his past that he had not taken part in. Details of this event are classified Level 4/2178; there is convincing evidence that the event is strongly related to SCP-2178.

Agent Barnes claims that his symptoms began immediately after directly handling a photograph on Chen’s person. The photograph was of Chen, a woman who appeared to be SCP-2178-1, and a third individual with a digitally obscured face.

On the back of the picture, a note is written in Chinese. Translated into English, it reads:

Once upon a time, an arrogant, crude, trickster decided that he could challenge Heaven. I wonder if you ever thought that things would come to this? Tomorrow, a foolish girl is going to try the same thing as the trickster. Don't worry. All this time, I've known that I am not strong or cunning. So this is insurance. R.W. can't kill me, but even if he is a coward, he has stomach enough to wipe me. Whatever happens tomorrow, this photograph will remember it all, and if need be, it will help me remember. If you ever need to use this, the Hand is finished. If you need to use this and you fail, this is also a good-bye.

One day we’ll look back on this and think that somebody was just playing a trick on us all.

The photograph has not displayed any anomalous properties since.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License