SCP-3349

ekg

SCP-3349 on standard EKG1 paper. Manifestations have been marked.



Item #: SCP-3349

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Individuals affected by SCP-3349 are to be admitted indefinitely as inpatients under routine care in Foundation Long-Term Acute Care facilities so as to not re-expose SCP-3349 to civilian physicians and the medical community at large. Reports of instances are to be intercepted by field agents, who are to use experiential discretion regarding the use of Class A amnestics.

The cardiac activity of patients admitted with SCP-3349 is to be monitored at all times by a centralized telemetry unit, continuously staffed with two 12-hour shift clerical personnel. Instances of SCP-3349 are to be reported by the clerical staff to the nursing staff promptly via an exclusive telephone line. Electrical manifestations of SCP-3349 are to be captured when possible, the printouts catalogued both in the patient's analog and electronic record.

Beginning in 1941, SCP-3349 has been actively expunged from the civilian medical community and literature, initially per endeavors of Mobile Task Force Gamma 5 (“Red Herrings”) and since continued by the ongoing global acquisition and obscuration of case studies by the D.E.A.

Description: SCP-3349 is a nonfatal cardiac arrhythmia that has a 42.8% incidence following a specific sequence of intravenous drug administrations:

  • 150 mg IV drip of amiodarone (infused over 15 minutes)
  • 1 g IV infusion of magnesium (infused over 1 hour)
  • 1 ampule of sodium bicarbonate (infused over 3-4 minutes)
  • 0.1 mcg IV of epinephrine (immediate push)

SCP-3349 is not constant and appears periodically in the affected individual with an average of nine occurrences per day, lasting for an average of three minutes per occurrence. Subjectively, patients report feeling comforted, elated, and euphoric. Objectively, SCP-3349 produces a “fluttering” central and peripheral pulse upon palpation, often described as tactilely similar to a purr of Felis catus (the common house cat), and can be auscultated with a stethoscope, the clinical descriptions also citing the purr of Felis catus.2

On electrocardiogram, SCP-3349's manifestations display commonalities with the waveforms of human vocalizations. Spectrographically-reconstructed audio signals3 based on SCP-3349's electrical signatures produce various intonations of human-like laughter, wailing, and speech (See "Audio Data" below). Auditory outputs resembling the purr of Felis catus have also been reported.

SCP-3349 is non-curable and is refractory to defibrillation at 200, 300, and 360 Joules. There are no known precipitating or alleviating factors regarding SCP-3349, other than the aforementioned induction. Despite the erratic electrical activity, patients remain stable, though few may experience some reduction in exercise tolerance.


Audio Data



Addenda




Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License