SCP-4178

rating: +43+x
SCP-4178.png

SCP-4178

Item #: SCP-4178

Threat Level: Yellow

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: As of recorded date 09/01/1998, all 19 retrieved instances of SCP-4178 (-1 to -19 respectively) are to be contained in vivariums no less than 10 m x 20 m, with small pools of water and a sandy substrate as interior. Male and female instances are to be contained separately to prevent further mating and the possible death of male instances. SCP-4178 specimens are to be only taken out of their vivarium's for testing purposes. SCP-4178-20 is kept in a standard containment locker with an internal temperature of -1°C.

Every 2 weeks, no less than 2 Class-D personnel equipped with reinforced apiarist's suit are to be sent in the chamber to clean and collect any unnecessary webbing produced by the organisms. This behaviour is theorised to prevent web from building up in the abdomen of the instances and thus is considered normal. Any eggs located during cleaning sessions are to be immediately collected and stored in a well-lit freezer with an internal temperature that does not exceed 2º C.

Description: SCP-4178 are a species of carnivorous arachnids resembling members of the Araneidae1 family. SCP-4178 possess the abdomen and wings of a Vespula germanica2. Analysis showed that the species of SCP-4178 is one of the largest flying arthropod to have existed, second to Meganeura monyi. SCP-4178 specimens have been shown to be able to produce venom in both the stinger and the fangs. Analysis has shown that the venom located in the stinger is much more potent than the venom in the fangs. It has been noted that female members of the species are significantly larger than the males, a common trait seen in regular spider and most wasp species. Male and female individuals have not shown any other sexual dimorphism.

Instances of SCP-4178 were discovered in the cave of an abandoned village located in Spain, housing a colony of specimens comprising of around 50 individuals. A large hive was recovered along with 20 instances. The rest of the colony was killed during the recovery. Other colonies were discovered in the surrounding area and were subsequently eliminated. A cover scenario was created following the operation.

DNA tests have shown that the SCP-4178 specimens possess a unique kind of DNA. No traces of Vespidae DNA have been found.
SCP-4178 will leave a stung victim in a state of complete paralysis, followed by an anaphylactic shock after a few minutes. Soon afterwards, multiple instances of SCP-4178 will approach the paralyzed prey and will begin secreting a paste-like webbing from their spinneret glands located at the tip of their abdomen under the stinger and will start wrapping the prey with it. This process tends to take up to 40 minutes for humans; larger prey can take up to an hour to be fully covered by the webbing. Solidification of the cocoon usually takes up to 15 minutes. After solidifying, the web takes the appearance of a wasp nest.

SCP-4178's species can be traced back to 240 million years ago in the middle of the Triassic period through fossil record. These ancestors didn't possess wings, unlike their modern relatives. Fossils found in █████ in the northern parts of Spain as well as near Santarem, Brazil, shows that these organisms built trapdoors in the floor using the paste-like silk. The first known fossil found with wing markings dates from 140 million years ago, during the late Jurassic era.


Addendum 4178.1: Expedition Log
In 19██, an expedition was sent to investigate a rumor mentioning "the children of the spider goddess" in a secluded region of Brazil was initiated. After several days of searching the surroundings, a hidden pre-Colombian temple was found, supposedly built by an unknown pre-Colombian tribe.

An immediate query sent from commanding officer Researcher W███ demanded two Class-D personnel from Site-███ on immediate transfer, two standard exploration field kits, two wireless headsets capable of recording / transmitting audio – all requests were accepted.

The following video transcript was filmed during the first exploration attempt on the 19th of May 19██. Camera wearers were D-22371 and D-3435.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License