SCP-4676
rating: +61+x
River

Area where the drowned body of Special Agent Valesco was found. Note that the water level is only a few centimeters high.

Item #: SCP-4676

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: There is currently no means of preventing the occurrence of SCP-4676. Surviving victims and other civilians with knowledge of SCP-4676 are to be amnesticized.

All Foundation personnel are to visit their respective on-site medical ward for the mandatory installation of thought-activated SOS beacons.

Description: SCP-4676 is a phenomenon that causes the sudden inhibition of voluntary movement in human beings, effectively causing paralysis. Because the autonomic nervous system remains unaffected, affected individuals retain critical body functions such as breathing, swallowing, and digestion, and remain conscious unless life-threatening injury or illness is sustained.

SCP-4676 only affects individuals who are alone at the time of onset, and preferentially targets those at least 55 meters from any other human being or human habitation1. SCP-4676 events have no known maximum duration, ending only upon nullification via physical contact with another human being or the death of the victim. Death usually occurs due to environmental factors, which include but are not limited to dehydration, animal attack, hypovolaemia (as a consequence of severe sunburn), hypothermia, drowning, choking, or infection.

Forestcropped

Edward was discovered within a crevice located below on the left side of the trail.

Addendum 4676-01: The first recorded victim of SCP-4676 was Edward Harolds, a botanist exploring the Amazon rainforest. One morning, Edward left his team camp to collect more specimens. When he failed to return, his team decided to look for him, eventually enlisting help from the locals. They searched for two weeks before finding a paralyzed2 Edward within a crevice.

Upon making physical contact from a team member, Edward regained consciousness, rose up and was highly agitated, repeatedly stating the phrases “Get them off! They’re in me!” before collapsing again. Edward was eventually airlifted to the nearest hospital and consequently recovered despite sustaining significant mental trauma. Edward was suffering from severe myiasis3 and tungiasis4 along with missing patches of skin due to skin ulceration due to predation efforts by E. burchellii (a species of army ant). All civilians involved were amnestized.

Addendum 4676-02: Elisa Monte was the first recorded victim to be affected by SCP-4676 immediately after becoming isolated at least 55 meters away from any other human being. Elisa, without authorization, traveled to one of the uninhabited beach islands near Palawan, Philippines with the purpose of taking a week-long isolated vacation.

The victim’s body was located near the shoreline, suggesting that the subject was watching the departure of her transport vehicle when SCP-4676 occurred. The transportation crew, who was scheduled to pick Elisa up after a week per their agreement, discovered her cadaver along with the untouched one-week supply of food, and other equipment for survival. Although the determination of the cause of death was made difficult due to third-degree sunburn, desiccation, and tissue damage (including complete enucleation of both eyeballs) caused by scavenging seabirds, it was ultimately determined that the subject died of dehydration three days after the onset of SCP-4676 rather than by the sustained injuries previously mentioned. All civilians involved were amnestized.

Addendum 4676-03: Tristan Hunt is the first recorded victim to be affected by SCP-4676 within close proximity to human habitation. The deceased body of Tristan Hunt was discovered near the front door of his apartment following reports from his neighbors about a strong stench emanating from his apartment. Further investigation has revealed that Tristan Hunt had no living relatives within the city, was single, and lived alone.

Interviews by agents revealed that Tristan's disappearance went unremarked by his boss and colleagues for some time, as they had assumed he was ill and had no alternative means of contacting him except via telephone. Autopsy reports, along with the nature of the clothing and personal effects found on the body, suggest that SCP-4676 occurred immediately after his arrival in the apartment and he consequently survived for six days before dying of dehydration. Effects of dehydration were delayed due to a combination of low body activity and temperate condition within the apartment.

Addendum 4676-Update: Recent analysis of statistical data has revealed an upward trend of SCP-4676 incidents along with a marked increase in younger victims (17-25). Several hypotheses between the correlation of the two factors have been presented but otherwise remain inconclusive due to lack of substantial supporting evidence.

A research study involving more than 140 universities worldwide has been launched to gather further information regarding SCP-4676. The universities will be divided into two groups with the first group containing universities that have satisfactory policies that promote positive student mental health while the second group of universities having policies that seldom or never promote positive mental health among students. Researchers who wish to apply for the project may submit their request directly to Dr. Paloma.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License