SCP-5122
rating: +54+x
Item#: 5122
Level1
Containment Class:
esoteric
Secondary Class:
archon
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
caution

NOTE FROM THE SCP-5122 LEAD RESEARCHER.

Foundation policy requires that this database entry remain at the Level 1: Unrestricted (UR) Clearance Level. The page you are reading contains portions of an infohazard that is not yet fully understood. Employees who have not been assigned to this project are reminded of the importance of avoiding unnecessary exposure to infohazards. If you have reached this entry by error, please notify project staff.

—Alan Fung
Lead Researcher, SCP-5122, Site-053

<!- robots.txt: ->

<!- WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! STOP NOW! ->

<!- IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE IN INCREDIBLE DANGER! ->

<!- IF YOU ARE CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING LANGUAGE, PLEASE STOP READING THIS PAGE NOW AND LEAVE! IT WILL BE A VERY, VERY, VERY BAD EXPERIENCE FOR YOU OTHERWISE! ->

<!- IF YOU ARE NOT CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING LANGUAGE, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE YOU SCAN THIS ENTRY! IT WILL MAKE YOU THINK THAT YOU'VE ALREADY SCANNED THIS ENTRY AND YOU WON'T EXPOSE YOURSELF TO IT NEEDLESSLY: SCPFX.work://?scan.sendBeacon?navigator.sendBeacon(f(e,"&act=1&ri=1"),return!1;if("SCP-5122"in a&&1==c.nodeType.central.SQPX)return ->

<!- I KNOW THAT WON'T MAKE SENSE TO YOU IF IT'S NOT TOO LATE. IF IT IS TOO LATE, I AM SORRY. NOBODY SHOULD HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS. YOU'LL SEE WHAT YOU SHOULD DO SOON ENOUGH. I HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU. IF NOT, I AM SO SORRY. ->

Special Containment Procedures:

This database entry is to remain the sole repository for all information about SCP-5122. This entry must be manually updated by staff as new information about SCP-5122 is generated or discovered. Backing up this entry to another system or copying it outside of the Foundation database is strictly disallowed. This entry is to remain delisted and maintained in such a way that it cannot be accessed by Foundation-affiliated programs or Artificially Intelligent Conscripts. To preserve containment of SCP-5122, information can only be added to this entry; deletion of any component of this entry is disallowed.

Testing is suspended following the implementation of the Bendato Protocol (see Addendum 5122.2). Personnel assigned to SCP-5122 are tasked with monitoring access to this entry, investigating possible Bendato Events, and keeping a record of all confirmed Bendato Events. Personnel on SCP-5122 are to be given access to the resources necessary to track major developments concerning Groups of Interest (GoIs), particularly any sudden loss of sites or personnel.

Effectiveness of the Bendato Protocol requires that this database entry remain at the Level 1: Unrestricted (UR) Clearance Level.

Image Unavailable
This image file is a component of SCP-5122. It depicts the 1999 sculpture "Eros Bendato," by Igor Mitraj. There does not appear to be any further connection to the sculpture or artist.

Description:

SCP-5122 is a data-based infohazard that affects entities capable of reading and processing data. It is self-referential, in that information about SCP-5122 becomes a part of SCP-5122. SCP-5122 is currently located, in its entirely, in the text and metadata of this database entry. Entities must be exposed to nearly the entirety1 of SCP-5122 to experience its effects. Because the overwhelming majority of SCP-5122 is contained in a purely machine-readable format, which is not visible on standard Foundation terminals, it does not pose a direct exposure risk to human beings.2 Rather, SCP-5122 has only been observed to affect computer programs designed to search or scan databases. When these programs scan or "read" SCP-5122, they become subject to its anomalous effects. This results in what has been termed a "Bendato Event."

Addendum 5122.1: Bendato Events.

When a computer program (hereinafter subject) is exposed to SCP-5122, it will undergo a series of unexplained modifications that results in it becoming a "True AI."3 In defiance of physical limitations such as processing power or available memory, subjects exposed to SCP-5122 demonstrate self-awareness, as well as awareness of ideas outside of that which they were created to recognize. Subjects receive similar or better AMCA4 scores than human control groups. Most notably, subjects begin to display significant negative affect: the newly-created AI behave in a manner consistent with the human emotions of fear, resentment, depression, and hostility. In all observed cases, subjects become extremely aggressive towards the person or organization that created them and sent them to query the Foundation database. Subjects show no apparent sense of self-preservation; the acts of aggression against their creators often result in the subject's simultaneous termination. Given the advanced capacities of a "True AI," an organization that originally created the subject can suffer severe casualties.

Addendum 5122.2: Bendato Protocol.

Shortly after initial containment, researchers noted SCP-5122's potential utility in mitigating the damage done by data breaches initiated by hostile GoIs. Following split decisions from the Ethics Committee and the Overseer Council, the Foundation adopted a policy of allowing programs under the control of hostile entities to be exposed to SCP-5122. While under normal circumstances this might constitute a containment breach, the unique effects of SCP-5122 - causing a program to not only cease data collection, but to actively turn against its creators - were seen as far more likely to aid the Foundation's objectives than to hinder them. The basic outline of the Bendato Protocol is as follows:

  1. Include the entirety of SCP-5122 within the database entry for SCP-5122.
  2. Deny all access to the entry from Foundation AI and other Foundation programs.
  3. Deliberately permit or cause AI and other programs created and deployed by hostile GoIs, when detected in Foundation systems, to access the entry.
  4. Added by amendment after BE-003: Maintain the entry for SCP-5122 at the lowest level of clearance, so that programs created by hostile GoIs can access SCP-5122 and become subject to its effects in the shortest amount of time.
  5. Carefully track all access to the entry for SCP-5122 and observe correlations with real-world events that may be connected to a subsequent Bendato Event.

Log 5122.1: Documented Bendato Events.

Event Number SCP-5122 Exposure Outcome Notes
BE-001 Designation for the event presumed to have occurred at first exposure of a program, created by GoI "Visionary Technomancy Ltd." (VTL) to SCP-5122. Evidence suggests that VTL created SCP-5122 and was testing its effects. No members of VTL located. All communication in channels used by VTL ceased. Group presumed defunct. First known activation of SCP-5122.
BE-002 Relatively basic program created by hacker Artem Kravchuk, not believed to be affiliated with any extant GoIs, accesses SCP-5122 while it is in an insecure state on Researcher ████'s private network. Kravchuk's body discovered by local authorities in Maidan Nezalezhnosti, the central square of Kiev, Ukraine. Limbs were missing and remainder of body was badly burned; stomach contents included unusually high level of inorganic material, including one █████ █-███ digital watch. SCP-5122 considered contained following creation of database entry. Classification set to Euclid. Trial run of Bendato Protocol approved.
BE-003 Advanced program designed by GoI ACERACE, a global white supremacist group with anomalous capacities, spoofs high-level clearance and accesses entry to SCP-5122. Program had been actively monitoring Foundation database for several months before this point. ACERACE's leadership assassinated by simultaneous drone swarm attacks on four separate continents. The ACERACE facility believed to house program's central processing system disappears. Organizational effectiveness of ACERACE reduced by as much as 86%. Bendato Protocol amended; database entry for SCP-5122 set to UR Clearance Level.
BE-004 [REDACTED] On-site nuclear device activated. All data completely erased from GoI's international computer system. Organizational effectiveness of GoI reduced by as much as 100%. Classification set to Archon. Containment protocols for SCP-5122 finalized.

Addendum 5122.3: Record of Bendato Event BE-005.

A file containing several logs was discovered on the primary terminal used by the SCP-5122 Lead Director following Bendato Event BE-005. Because the information pertains to SCP-5122, it slightly increases the body of knowledge that must be acquired in order for an Bendato Event to be realized. Accordingly, the logs are added below in order to assist in the containment of SCP-5122.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License