SCP-5778
rating: +61+x



bunkers.jpg

A SCP-5778-A instance contained by the Foundation in ██████.

Special Containment Procedures: The records of all SCP-5778 motion sensor activations are automatically logged on a secure data terminal in the Armed Site-21 operations center, regardless of severity. In addition, a log is to be maintained of the locations of all known SCP-5778-A instances and the symbol required to access them, classified to personnel with less than Level 4 security clearance.

All current entranceways to SCP-5778-B from SCP-5778-A are protected by electrostatic tesla gate emplacements, motion-activated defensive weaponry, and motion-triggered antipersonnel mines. These emplacements are set to automatically activate and terminate any hostile entities without a Foundation IFF transponder. Any situation in which hostile entities breach the second layer of defenses constitutes a breach of containment.

Given SCP-5778's esoteric requirements for entry and overall inconspicuous nature among the general public, no further containment procedures are necessary. However, close observation of each individual SCP-5778-A instance currently known to the Foundation is required, with surveillance tactics varying per area.


Description: SCP-5778 is the collective designation for an abandoned anomalous logistics network located primarily in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, with several connections located in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. SCP-5778 itself comprises two tangible segments: a two-way "entry point" accessible only by inscribing an esoteric symbol upon the entry point's surface (designated SCP-5778-A), and a large inner facility functioning as a hub structure (designated SCP-5778-B), both of which are connected by a network of straight tunnels.

SCP-5778-A instances normally take the form of inconspicuous objects with appropriate variation by location; for example, one recorded SCP-5778-A instance within a forest in Northern Georgia took the form of an ordinary oak tree, while a second recorded SCP-5778-A instance within Miami, Florida took the form of a garbage dumpster. Each SCP-5778-A instance is connected to a unique concrete tunnel approximately 15 meters wide, 20 meters high, and 180 meters long. Each tunnel is accessible only by entering SCP-5778-A and each tunnel leads directly to SCP-5778-B in a straight line. The tunnels are lit by light fixtures powered by an unknown source.

Each SCP 5778-A instance is theorized to function as a conduit for a currently unknown type of Aspect Radiation, which the Foundation believes is responsible in some way for SCP-5778's anomalous nature. Further research into this connection and the nature of this form of Aspect Radiation is underway.

scpmap.png
A map of all known SCP-5778-A locations and their theorized energy connections within the contiguous United States. (Hover to Enlarge)

SCP-5778-B is a seemingly subterranean facility containing a series of intersected service tunnels 10 meters wide and 17 meters high, with smaller tunnels connecting to the primary structure in the center. This structure contains several smaller corridors, storage rooms, and service shafts, all centered upon a large computer-filled control room elevated above the rest of the structure via a stairwell. SCP-5778-B is only accessible via the tunnel found inside any SCP-5778-A instance. Although SCP-5778-B's control room is mostly inoperable and visibly worn with age, the facility itself appears to have working electricity, as all lights and "oxygen circulation systems" appear to be on at all times. In addition, the operating system of the working computers appears to be equivalent to most modern computer operating systems (as of 1997).

Placards in English are found throughout the facility to assist in navigation, and also indicate that the names of the tunnels and of the SCP-5778-A gateways follow an alphanumeric designation system (e.g. Gate A-32). These correspond to a database located on a computer in the control room, which lists the letter, number, and coordinates of the SCP-5778-A instance.

SCP-5778 itself is not physically located anywhere in the world, but instead intersects with both the current baseline of reality and an unidentified higher dimension, wherein space is compressed into a smaller form, though time remains unaffected. Although SCP-5778 would otherwise normally comprise an area of tens of thousands of square kilometers given the extent of the SCP-5778-A instances found throughout the world, the actual area of SCP-5778 itself is measured to be only approximately 20 square kilometers.

Any matter which enters SCP-5778 through a SCP-5778-A instance and exits through a different SCP-5778-A instance is instantaneously transported to the exit point in the baseline reality. By using SCP-5778, great distances can be traveled in effectively the same amount of time it would take to normally walk between two SCP-5778-A points while within the anomaly.


Discovery: SCP-5778 was brought to the Foundation's attention following the disappearance of 39 year-old Lester Jenkins of Nevada on June 17, 1997. Prior to his disappearance, Jenkins had served for 13 years in the United States Air Force Security Forces at Edwards Air Force Base, though was later discharged due to mental health and safety concerns after experiencing several manic episodes.

Documents recovered by Foundation informants within GoI-616 "PENTAGRAM"1 revealed that Jenkins was already on a PENTAGRAM watchlist by the time of his disappearance, due to the fact that the amnestics the PENTAGRAM issued after his discharge were apparently faulty and worsened his manic episodes. These amnestics were apparently issued due to Jenkins' "exposure to the transportation of classified goods," as per the PENTAGRAM dossier.

Jenkins hosted the show "The World Beyond" on the now-defunct radio station 125.7 WKFQ, in which he would often discuss in length his conspiracy theories and go on diatribes against the US Government. Following the broadcast of his June 17 episode (see Addendum 5778.1), which discussed the then-unidentified SCP-5778 in great detail, Jenkins would go missing, presumably in search of a SCP-5778-A instance near Dulce, New Mexico. The absurdist nature of the broadcast itself, combined with an overall lack of interest in Jenkins' subject matter among the general public, allowed the Foundation to cover up the broadcast with standard misinformation campaigns under the guise of an FCC operation.

Foundation agents would later raid Jenkins's home, finding evidence of the PENTAGRAM's presence prior to their arrival, as the property had already been searched when they arrived. Agents managed to locate a hidden compartment in Jenkins' bedroom, containing a set of coordinates leading to a remote area near Dulce, along with several manuscripts filled with esoteric symbols believed to grant access to SCP-5778-A. Following the investigation, it was determined that the PENTAGRAM intended to access SCP-5778 before the Foundation. Armed Site-21 staff launched OPERATION: GOLDEN ORB (see Addendum 5778.2) to secure the anomaly in time.


Addendum 5778.1:

Excerpt From June 17 Episode of "The World Beyond," 125.7 WKFQ


Addendum 5778.2:

OPERATION: GOLDEN ORB Video Log


Addendum 5778.3:

Additional Documentation


.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License