SCP-5927
rating: +42+x
Item#: 5927
Level3
Containment Class:
keter
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
keneq
Risk Class:
danger

Anechoicchamber

Anechoic formation of the containment chamber under construction.

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-5927 is contained in an anechoic chamber where electromagnetic waves imitating the aurora borealis are continuously emitted, deceiving SCP-5927 into not being able to disappear.

Inside is a prism that was developed to transfer SCP-5927 to the containment chamber. Unforeseen by staff, SCP-5927 has not been able to leave said prism yet due to the effects of the electromagnetic waves from the chamber, the light-absorbent paint, and inner mirrors applied to the prism. After internal deliberation, the prism was accepted as a part of the containment measures and renamed to ▲-5927.

The light coming out of the unpainted edges of ▲-5927 is analyzed by light-sensors and run through the Schrödinger equation (1) to predict the light and behavior of SCP-5927. If SCP-5927 attempts to leave ▲-5927, dispersing light beams come out of ▲-5927, and the luminous flux increases. Phosphane gas (also known as phosphine or PH3) will subsequently be released into the chamber until the light intensity subdues.

(1)
\begin{align} H(t)\vert\psi(t)\rangle = i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\vert\psi(t)\rangle \end{align}

Depending on the results of the Schrödinger equation, personnel may release the gas manually if deemed necessary. Results are known to fluctuate during the aurora borealis.

The last known target of SCP-5927, D-5593, is housed in a standard human containment room near the northern harbor of the island. D-5563 may not leave the island unless SCP-5927 breaches containment, in which case the assigned guards must evacuate her as soon as possible. D-5593 may not partake in other experiments.

All assigned guards are equipped with phosphorus rounds, a flare gun, defensive equipment covered in light-absorbent paint, and a full face gas mask with infrared and UV-vision.

lightscp

SCP-5927 in a smaller, weakened state.

Description: SCP-5927 is an incorporeal entity of light on the island Jørpevåg, Norway which appears alongside the electromagnetic phenomenon of the aurora borealis (commonly known as the northern lights). Aside from light, SCP-5927 emits a blue aura that lowers the ambient air temperature surrounding it and distorts photographs.

The form of SCP-5927 resembles a humanoid shape without a lower body. Instead, multiple appendages extend from under its abdomen. These appendages let SCP-5927 feed from its target by leeching off them.

After manifesting, SCP-5927 will hover towards a sleeping person (PoI-5927-1). Upon arrival, the appendages of SCP-5927 will permeate, yet not damage, the target's bones or in rare cases the spine to reach bone-marrow. SCP-5927 will then absorb neurotransmitters from their nervous system. This will either kill the victim or cause the victim to develop neurological disorders which can be hereditary and/or lethal. Further research in neurology and genealogy (study of family lineage and history) reveals that 22% of neurological diseases in Scandinavia can be traced back to SCP-5927. Global results are yet to be determined.

Upon having leeched off a victim, SCP-5927 will either choose a new target (PoI-5927-2, -3, etc.) or disappear. SCP-5927 does not have a known limit to the amount of targets it can have each time it manifests. If its target leaves the island, SCP-5927 will hover around aimlessly until the aurora borealis disappears. If a target wakes up before SCP-5927 can find them, it will still pursue said target. Forcibly waking a target up during the leeching process will kill that individual from any type of primary brain injury like hemorrhages, cerebral contusion/laceration or a combination.

Only objects that either combust/emit light on contact or interfere with light directly by reflection, dispersion or absorption can interact with SCP-5927.

oldhome

House of Asbjørn Risberg (1922), supposedly the first recorded victim of SCP-5927 in local archives.

Discovery: Asher Foster, a nature photographer, sent photographs and panoramic videos over in an album to his publisher under the name "Northern lights on Jørpevåg". A moving, blurred shape of light was visible on one of the videos which raised suspicions. The video was intercepted and deleted. Dr. Luca Munescu, a member of the senior staff on vacation in the area, was asked to investigate and to report to the nearest site.

Dr. Munescu sighted SCP-5927 but its shape on photographical evidence was blurred. Dr. Munescu also found a correlation of similar sightings, the aurora borealis, and records of people dying at home, going as far back as 1922 in local archives. While no earlier records were found, Dr. Munescu identified a local folktale called "The Norther' Light Phantom" with an unknown date of origin.

Further research was assigned to Dr. Amanda Dameronne by Dr. Luca Munescu. The containment of the anomaly was appointed to Dr. Kurt Waltraud.

AuroraBorealis

One of Asher Foster's photos of the aurora borealis on Jørpevåg.


Addendum-5927-1: Containment Attempts 1-4


Description: Attempting to contain SCP-5927 in a standard plexiglass cube adapted for the containment of non-physical/incorporeal anomalies.

Result: SCP-5927 was lured inside with PoI-5927-1 who was pulled out on the other side. SCP-5927 had no interaction with the cube and moved through.

Note by Dr. Kurt Waltraud: SCP-5927 does not have a physical body and is therefore classified as an incorporeal anomaly. By definition this should not allow SCP-5927 to move through the cube.
I hypothesize that the form of SCP-5927 is a real-life example of the wave-particle duality of light as described in quantum mechanics.

To quote Albert Einstein:

"It seems as though we must use sometimes the one theory and sometimes the other, while at times we may use either. We are faced with a new kind of difficulty. We have two contradictory pictures of reality; separately neither of them fully explains the phenomena of light, but together they do."


Addendum-5927-2: Experiments under Dr. Amanda Dameronne


Description: Testing the anomalous effect SCP-5927 has on cameras by photographing it through different lenses and filters.

Result:
- Normal cameras give blurry photos as though the lens didn't focus.
- Infrared cameras are suitable for tracking purposes.
- UV-sensitive cameras can photograph SCP-5927 with filters.

Additional information: All images are edited to get rid of filters; an image of SCP-5927 is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate.


Addendum-5927-3: Experiments requested by Dr. Kurt Waltraud

Dr. Amanda Dameronne provided assistance in testing/research on site, only Dr. Kurt Waltraud tested directly on SCP-5927 and is thereby responsible for the outcome and the well-being of the field agents.

Description: Finding a way to fight off SCP-5927.

Result: Rounds and other projectiles from standard munition don't work on SCP-5927. Explosive rounds gave a bit of light whilst passing through. SCP-5927 appeared confused.

Additional information: The light-emission and its effects on SCP-5927 need further investigation.


Addendum-5927-4: The Flare Gun Experiment Incident

ACCESS GRANTED

CLASSIFIED

The Flare Gun Experiment

Incident report

Purpose of the experiment:
Testing white phosphorus flare guns

Result of the experiment:
Unsuccesful, 21 casualties

Subject:
SCP-5927

Location:
Jørpevåg, Norway

Foreword


Field agents assigned to SCP-5927 followed standard procedure and evacuated PoI-5927-1. They were then ordered to test the white phosphorus flare guns on SCP-5927. Full-face gas masks with UV-cameras were worn to prevent inhalation of toxic mist.

SCP-5927 was tracked by infrared vision until it entered the wild tundra. Personnel switched over to UV-vision and engaged on SCP-5927.

20:42 Phosphorus rounds are fired on SCP-5927, stunning it into place. One flare is shot and pushes it back. A toxic smokescreen forms and seems to have an irritating/burning effect on SCP-5927.
20:43 SCP-5927 charges towards personnel, phosphorus rounds are fired to no avail. The flare made SCP-5927 resistant to smaller munition.

Personnel may fire flares on sight.

20:44 Five flares connect, severe burn marks are visible on SCP-5927 whose appendages begin to turn violet (see attachment).
20:45 Violet appendages permeate the spines of 12 field agents. SCP-5927 proceeds to absorb their neurotransmitters, killing them. Three flares are fired. SCP-5927 dodges two, impales 5 agents and swirls them around until they fling off.
20:49 A direct hit on SCP-5927 causes its scorched left arm to fall off and disintegrate. SCP-5927 tries to flee into the sky.
20:50 Field agents miss 2 flares on SCP-5927 but create a fog around it. SCP-5927 falls whilst burning/suffocating. Some appendages appear disformed and don't move anymore.
20:51 SCP-5927 tries to flee again, hovering through the smoke and 3 field agents, putting them in a permanent state of sleep paralysis1.
20:58 The trajectory of SCP-5927 is being tracked. Predictably leading back to the house of PoI-5927-1. Presumably a desperate attempt to find said PoI and disappear.
21:06 Field agents enter the house, and find a wounded, small SCP-5927 hovering in place. SCP-5927 takes notice and pierces field agent Frederic Hencewood with its appendages. One flare is shot.
21:07 SCP-5927 flickers, field agent Hencewood crawls over the length of the appendages, letting them impale his body.
21:08 Field agent Hencewood fires a point-blank flare, making the appendages retract, ripping him apart as if they were harpoons. SCP-5927 looks directly at the field agents in the room and disappears.

End of Incident report.

Attachment: Violet coloured appendages of SCP-5927.

appendagesviolet

Update

A recovered SCP-5927 manifested alongside the next aurora borealis directly in front of personnel. SCP-5927 hovered in place whilst observing the team before dimming slightly until it subsequently disappeared for the night. Video footage shows that SCP-5927 recognized the surviving field agents of the incident and acknowledged them as a threat but did not engage in combat. There was no PoI-5927-1 for the night. The collective team of field agents was deemed PoI-5927-1 that night by Dr. Kurt Waltraud.


Addendum-5927-5: Containment Attempt 5


Description: Attempting to trap SCP-5927 in a specially made prism2 and transport said prism to the anechoic chamber specifically developed for the containment of SCP-5927.

The inner sides of the prism include inwards facing mirrors, the outer sides are covered in a layer of light-absorbent paint except on the edges. After the activation of the contraption, the prism will close and fill itself with liquid glass which will quickly solidify. The glass carries phosphates marked with radioactive trackers (³²P and ³³P) to trap it as long as possible and track it if it escapes during the containment attempt.

Result: D-5563 was identified as PoI-5927-2 and was moved to what appeared as an outside panorama deck. Two field agents in disguise pulled D-5563 away after SCP-5927 was above the bottom side of the prism, and activated the contraption.

SCP-5927 tried to escape unsuccessfully during the filling process. Dispersing light could be seen from the prism's edges. It is unknown how long the prism can hold SCP-5927 without outside interference.

The prism was moved to the underground anechoic chamber which continuously sends out electromagnetic waves resembling the waves of the aurora borealis.

Even after the aurora borealis disappeared, SCP-5927 stayed trapped which could be seen by light-emittance from the unpainted edges. Whilst not completely understood, it is assumed that this is an effect of the electromagnetic waves from the anechoic chamber. The waves either trick SCP-5927 into believing that the northern lights are still up or specific waves (or a density in specific waves) make it unable to vanish.

SCP-5927 successfully contained

Following the successful containment of SCP-5927, Dr. Amanda Dameronne was relocated to a neurologist practice on Jørpevåg where she researches the long term effects of SCP-5927. Treatment is provided where possible.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License